Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The World's 1st Surfing Mice (on their own tiny boards)

Eight-month-old males Rocket, Peanut, Skidmark and Banzai have learned all the skills they need to maneuvre breakers on the beach.
Radical rodent: Skidmark the mouse rides a wave on his custom-made mouse surf board at Surfers Paradise in Queensland, Australia this year
And it's all down to boat builder Shane Wilmott, 39, who spotted their talent.
He hand crafts miniature mouse-sized replicas of real surf boards and teaches his amazing troupe how to master them. They are even able to turn on the boards while travelling by shifting their weight.
Mr Wilmott, who breeds mice in his Gold Coast, Australia home, said: 'Contrary to popular belief mice are actually unbelievable swimmers - so if they come off they are fine to paddle around until I collect them.
'A lot of people ask me if fish are sharks to them and worry they might get eaten. Gulls are actually a more realistic threat so I have to stay close by to make sure my guys are safe.
 'A lot of people ask me if fish are sharks to them and worry they might get eaten. Gulls are actually a more realistic threat so I have to stay close by to make sure my guys are safe.
Mr Wilmott taught his first mice to surf 25 years ago when he was a teenager.
Mr Wilmott said: 'I teach them how to do it in the bath at first so they can get used to their custom-made boards.
'Once they've got some confidence we move out to the pool in my back yard and tow them using a remote controlled boat.
 Steady: The mice do need a bit of help getting started on each wave from trainer Shane Wilmott, above, being unable to paddle with their tiny paws.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails